Sunday, March 15, 2020

Palmetto State Baseball team of the week, March 9-15; Wofford

Wofford (1-0 for the week)
(beat Auburn)

In a week cut short by the Coronavirus frenzy, 11 South Carolina teams won every game they played.

With some many worthy candidates, I opted for Wofford, which upended No. 14 Auburn in Alabama. Coach Todd Interdonato's team built a 4-0 lead, then held on for a 4-3 victory. The Terriers have won seven straight games.

Wofford center fielder Colin Davis and Auburn first baseman Conor Davis are brothers. In the fifth inning of Wednesday's game, Colin made a leaping catch of a fifth-inning fly ball by Conor to rob him of at least extra bases, if not a home run.

This makes five straight weeks my selection has been an NCAA Division I teams. I hope teams competing on other levels don't feel I'm overlooking their accomplishments. I try to judge each week as a separate entity, although I admit I try to avoid naming the same team on two consecutive weeks.

Wofford's next game, as well as the next game for most South Carolina teams, - if there are any more - won't be determined for weeks.

Also considered (record for week)
Clemson (2-0)
Columbia International (2-0)
Francis Marion (2-0)
North Greenville (2-0)
USC Aiken (2-0)
USC Upstate (2-0)

Previous winners
Jan. 31-Feb. 2:
 USC Aiken
Feb. 3-9: Newberry
Feb. 10-16: The Citadel
Feb. 17-23: USC Upstate
Feb. 24-March 1: Coastal Carolina
March 2-8: College of Charleston

No comments: