Monday, March 29, 2021

Morris enjoying best season in almost a decade


Ever since I started Palmetto State Baseball in 2009, I've had trouble getting scores of Morris College games.  On most occasions I've had to rely on opponents when tracking down scores.

With the struggles the Hornets have had on the baseball field in recent series, the lack of fan interest is understandable. While my records are quite likely incomplete, the results I have assembled aren't the kind that have alumni waiting anxiously for scores each day.

My records entering 2021 show five winless seasons since 2010, a one-win season in 2019 and a pair of two-win campaigns. There was a 3-7 record in 2011 (I'm likely missing some results). The school was unable to field a team in 2012 and that may have been the case in 2009, too.

The best season I can find since I started keeping track is a 6-9 mark in 2013. Riley Graham, a player on that team, tells me that the Hornets won another four games by forfeit for a 10-win season.

As modest as the Hornets' recent baseball fortunes have been, that's why it's worth pointing out some recent success for the Sumter school.

Graham has been helping me keep up with the team's fortunes, and Tuesday was one of the most notable in recent program history. Morris swept a doubleheader at Voorhees, snapping a three-game losing streak and improving the Hornets' record to 3-6. It's the most wins in a season since 2013, and Graham reports it's also the first doubleheader sweep since two wins over Shaw in that 2013.

Guillermo Morel pitched a complete game in a 5-4 win in Game 1. The nightcap went to the Hornets, 8-5. Cynje Cooley had five hits on the day to increase his season batting average to .519.

The Hornets get a chance to build a three-game winning streak Wednesday at St. Andrews

No comments: