Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Woman pitches against Southern Wesleyan

When I saw the name "Martina Sementelli" on the roster for Montreat College's baseball team earlier this week, I just figured it was a typo intended to be Martin.

But as I sat in the stands at Southern Wesleyan's C. Keith Connor Field in Central Wednesday afternoon, I got a Tweet from one of Montreat's conference opponents asking if the Cavaliers had used their female pitcher yet.

Sure enough, Sementelli came in to pitch the sixth inning of Game 2 of the doubleheader. She struck out Michael Hyman, the first batter she faced. Sementelli, a 5-foot-3 sophomore from Sherman Oaks, Calif., allowed two hits and a run, but it was unearned because of an error. The Warriors did steal three bases on Sementelli.

I couldn't recall ever having seen a female play in a college baseball game I attended. Now, I have.

The first video is of Sementelli warming up, The second is the end of the strikeout.




 



No comments: