Tuesday, April 5, 2016

News digest, April 5, part 2

Abbeville's Smith wins 500th
I don't keep up with high school baseball very closely, but I saw on Twitter that Abbeville coach Mark Smith got his 500th career win Tuesday night. Mark was always great to me when I worked for The Greenville News, so I wanted to give him some recognition.

Lander ties Big South record
Thanks for Lander announcer Rixon Lane for sharing this. With Tuesday's 7-1 over Emmanuel, The Bearcats tied the Peach Belt Conference record for consecutive games (260) without being shut out.

Rankings
D2BaseballNews.com
National:
1. St. Cloud State (1st last week). 6. USC Aiken 6th. 13. Lander (21st).
Southeast region: 1. USC Aiken (1st). 2. Landert (2nd). 5 (tie) Newberry. (T-5).
D2 DII

NAIA coaches
Division I national: 1. Georgia Gwinnett (1st). 5. USC Beaufort (6th).
NAIA

Honors
NCBWA

Southeast region hitter of the week: Mitchell Price, USC Aiken
Hitter

No comments: