Saturday, February 18, 2017
Saturday's highlights, Feb. 18
* South Carolina's Wil Crowe had an excellent return to action after missing the 2016 season with an injury. The junior right-hander struck out seven, walked one and allowed three hits in five shutout innings of a 5-1 victory over UNC Greensboro.
* Clemson's Seth Beer blasted a three-run homer over the center-field fence and Pat Krall had six effective innings as the Tigers evened their series with Wright State with a 4-2 victory.
* College of Charleston clinched a series victory and likely made Georgia coach Scott Stricklin's seat a little warmer with a 15-6 rout of the Bulldogs in Athens. CofC is a quality program, but the casual Bulldogs fan may not be aware of that. It is, however, the Cougars' first-ever series win over an SEC team.
* Western Carolina scored an eighth-inning run to beat Coastal Carolina, 5-4, and keep it from being a perfect day for the Chanticleers. Coastal's players and staff received their College World Series Championship rings before the game.
* Grant Schuermann's first outing since Tommy John surgery in 2015 was an effective one as Furman beat Dayton, 9-7. Schuermann went five innings, allowing six hits, four runs (two earned) and a walk while striking out two. The Paladins are 2-0 under new coach Brett Harker
* One day after Wade Arduini tied the USC Beaufort school record by striking out 12 Florida Memorial batters, Justin Kortessis joined him in the record book by fanning 12 in the opener of a doubleheader, a 12-1 win. Bobby Wenthe drove in seven runs in the nightcap, a 23-0 win. The Sand Sharks swept the three game The Sun Conference Series.
* Coker wrapped up a series sweep of Erskine with a pair of wins over the Flying Fleet.
* Cole German hit a leadoff home run in the ninth inning to cap Charleston Southern's comeback 3-2 win over Delaware State. The Buccaneers trailed 2-0 entering the bottom of the eighth, but rallied to given interim coach Adam Ward his first victory.
* An 11-run sixth-inning propelled Winthrop to its second consecutive 12-5 win over Maine.
* Francis Marion's Chance Ducharme and Newberry's Zach Kelly hooked up in a dandy pitchers' duel in the opener of the Patriots' doubleheader sweep. Ducharme allowed four hits, walked two, hit two and struck out four in eight innings. Kelly went seven innings, allowing five hits, a run and two walks while fanning 10.
* USC Sumter beat Harford CC, 9-2, to salvage a doubleheader split against the 2016 NJCAA World Series participant. The teams meet for another doubleheader at 10 a.m. Sunday at Riley Park in Sumter.
* Florida Southern, No. 20 in Collegiate Baseball's preseason NCAA Division II poll, has looked every bit worthy of that position so far in its series at Claflin. The Moccasins rolled to s 25-7 victory after winning Friday's opener, 17-1.
* USC Aiken pitchers struck out 15 batters in eight innings, but the Pacers fell to Mount Olive 1-0. The game's only run scored on a sixth-inning wild pitch. The Pacers were outslugged in Friday's opener, 12-10.
at 10:23:00 PM