Louisiana Lafayette 1, Coastal Carolina 0
Alex Cunningham had another brilliant outing, but Louisiana Lafayette (18-12, 7-3) beat Coastal Carolina (19-11, 7-3), 1-0, on a combined two-hit shutout. Cunningham, coming off consecutive shutouts, allowed four hits and struck out 11 in eight innings. The Raging Cajuns scored the game's lone run on Kennon Fontenot's home run in the second inning.
Elsewhere across the state
* Logan Davidson had a home run among his four hits and Charlie Barnes struck out 11 in 7 2/3 innings as Clemson (26-5, 11-2) won the opener of an ACC series, 12-1, over Virginia Tech (17-16, 6-7). Robert Jolly and Jordan Green had two hits and two RBIs apiece for the Tigers, who had 16 hits. Green also walked twice.
* Brian Kehner and Eric Miles combined on a shutout for Presbyterian (16-16, 4-3) in a 5-0 win at Winthrop (16-14, 5-2) to open a Big South Conference series in Rock Hill. Kehner allowed five hits over seven innings and Miles closed it out, allowing a walk and a hit batsman. Connor Slagill, A.J. Priaulx, Tyler Weyenberg and T.J. Richardson had two hits apiece for the Blue Hose. Babe Thomas had a single and two walks for Winthrop.
* Jason Miller three-run homer highlighted a five-run first inning and Charleston Southern (15-13, 4-5) went on to a 10-3 win over UNC Asheville (12-17, 3-4) to open a Big South Conference series. Mike Sconzo added three of the Buccaneers' 17 hits. Starter Nik Constantatos struck our nine in five innings and two relievers added seven more.
* Cody Ezzell had three singles and drove in three runs for Newberry (26-14, 11-5) as it extended its winning streak to nine games with a 10-7 win over Coker (19-15, 9-10) in the opener of a South Atlantic Conference series. The Cobras took a 3-1 lead in the second before the host Wolves rallied. Daymon Totherow singled, doubled and scored two runs for Newberry. Clint Allen had two hits and three RBis for Coker.
* Anderson (11-26, 7-12) scored two runs in the eighth and four in the ninth to pull away to an 11-6 victory over Brevard (9-28, 2-14) to open a South Atlantic Conference series. The Trojans rapped out 19 hits, include four for Avery Sneed and three for William Thomas. Dillon Carpenter singled and homered for Anderson, which scored six unearned runs with the aid of five Brevard errors.
* Mike Sciorra led off the 12th inning with a home run to give James Madison (17-11, 3-4) a 6-5 win over College of Charleston (14-16, 5-2) in the first game of a Colonial Athletic Association series. The Cougars were held to seven hits, two of them by Logan McRae.
* The offensive and bullpen woes continued for South Carolina (20-10, 6-5) as the Gamecocks lost a game and SEC series to Vanderbilt (21-11 6-5), 5-3 in 13 innings on a home run by Julian Infante. USC's three runs came in the third inning and were unearned. Clarke Schmidt struck out 11 in seven innings and left with a 3-2 lead. The Commodores scored a two-out run in the ninth to force extra innings. USC pitchers struck, out 17, but the Gamecocks were outhit 10-7. Jonah Bride and Madison Stokes had two hits apiece for Carolina.
* USC Aiken (25-10, 10-6) scored three runs in the sixth and held on for a 5-2 victory over Augusta (15-18, 7-9) in the opener of a Peach Belt Conference series between neighboring schools. Jonathan Banks and Daulton Weeks had two hits apiece for the Pacers.
* Wade Arduini struck out nine batters in eight innings and Justin Kortessis had three hits as USC Beaufort (25-12, 10-6) opened a Sun Conference series at Webber International (29-9, 10-6) with a 7-2 victory.
* Furman (11-17, 1-6) was unable to capitalize on another solid start from Will Gaddis, suffering a 3-1 loss at UNC Greensboro (19-10, 5-2) in Southern Conference play. Gaddis went seven innings, allowing six hits and two runs - one earned - while walking one and striking out four. Brandon Elmy homered in the ninth to allow the Paladins to avoid a shutout. Furman was held to four hits.
* VMI (16-15, 3-4) retired Wofford (16-15, 2-2) to end the game with a runner on third base and held on for a 4-3 victory in a Southern Conference series opener in Spartanburg. Adam Scott struck out 10 batters in seven innings for the Terriers, who stole nine bases. All three Wofford runs were unearned. Brett Hash and Max McDougald had two hits apiece for Wofford.
* USC Upstate (14-18, 1-3) was held to three singles in a 4-0 loss at Kennesaw State (13-17, 2-2) in an Atlantic Sun Conference series opener. Jake Burke singled and walked for the Spartans.
* Barton (23-16, 8-11) scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth for a 10-9 win over Erskine (24-13, 13-6) in a Conference Carolinas series opener. Connor Greene had two homers and drove in three for the Flying Fleet in a game where the lead changed hands five times.
* Ricky Surum homered twice and drove in three runs for Conference Carolinas leader Mount Olive (31-7, 17-2) in a 5-2 victory at Southern Wesleyan (10-27, 4-15). Conner Ewing singled and homered for the Warriors.
* Georgia College (22-9, 9-6) scored two runs in the first and four in the second and held on for an 8-7 win over Lander (17-18, 10-8) to open a Peach Belt Conference series at Dolny Stadium. The Bearcats got a potential tying run on base in the ninth but could not move him over. Three Bearcats had two hits apiece.
* A seven-run first inning got Belmont Abbey (24-14, 15-7) rolling en route to a 12-2 win over Limestone (19-18, 8-11) in Conference Carolinas play. Zach Piazza had two hits and an RBI for the Saints.
* Francis Marion (26-12, 8-8) had a five-game winning streak snapped in a 6-1 loss at UNC Pembroke (24-11, 8-8) to open a Peach Belt Conference road series. Zach Callahan had three singles and drove in the Patriots' run.