Game of the day
Wofford 7, Villanova 3, Game 1
The Terriers scored all their runs in their final at-bat to beat Villanova (3-14) in the opener of a doubleheader. A bases-loaded walk got the Terriers on the board. Carson Waln and Reed Massey had two hits apiece. Wofford also won the second game, 13-0, to even their season record at 14-14. Brett Rodridguez was three-for-five with a triple and a walk in Game 2. Spencer Kulman and four relievers combined on the four-hit shutout.
Elsewhere across the state
* North Greenville (26-11, 12-6) pulled within a game of Erskine (24-12, 13-5) in the Conference Carolinas standings, completing a series sweep with wins of 5-3 and 7-3 in Tigerville. Canaan Cropper pitched a complete game and Clark Scolamiero had two hits, two stolen bases and two RBIs in the first game. Andrew Meadows had a three-run pinch single and Scolamiero added two more runs in the nightcap.
* Carlos Cortes tripled in a run and hit a grand slam in support of Clarke Schmidt as South Carolina (19-7, 6-2) evened its SEC series with Auburn (22-7, 6-2) with a 7-0 victory. Cortes tripled in a run and later scored in the fifth. He broke the game open with his sixth-inning homer. Jacob Olson had had two hits for the Gamecocks. Schmidt allowed five hits and struck out 10 in eight innings.
* Tanner Chock pitched a six-hit complete game and struck out 12 as Presbyterian (14-15, 3-2) clinched a Big South Conference series victory with a 4-1 win over Radford (11-14, 2-3). Cletis Avery homered and drove in two runs for PC.
* Georgia Tech (15-10, 4-7) snapped Clemson's (22-5, 9-2)
nine-game winning streak with a 5-1 victory to even the ACC series at
1-1. Chris Williams had two doubles for Clemson. The Tigers got five
hits and seven walks, but were limited to a fifth-inning RBI single by
* Anthony Paulsen's three-run homer in the eighth inning helped Winthrop (14-13) secure a 4-0 win over Creighton (8-13) to even the series at 1-1. Nate Pawelczyk pitched the first eight innings, allowing three hits and a walk while striking out nine. Mitch Spires, who singled and doubled, scored the Eagles' first run in the second inning.
* Reliever Andrew Beckwith pitched six innings without allowing an earned run and Billy Cooke, Kevin Woodall Jr. and Cory Wood homered as Coastal Carolina (18-10, 6-2) clinched a Sun Belt Conference series win with an 8-5 victory at Georgia State (11-16, 1-7).
* Evan Sisk and Tucker White combined on a six-hit shutout for College of Charleston (12-15, 4-1) as the Cougars clinched a CAA series victory with a 2-0 win over UNC Wilmington (11-14, 2-3). Erven Roper singled, doubled and scored a run for the College.
* Lander (17-16, 10-7) climbed above .500 for the first time this season, pounding Young Harris (11-20, 4-10) by scores of 14-6 and 13-5 in a Peach Belt Conference twinbill at Dolny Stadium. Alex Conaway had two doubles and a homer and drove in four runs in the opener, and Nathan Schreckengost homered twice and drove in five runs in Game 2, when the Bearcats stretched their winning streak to five games.
* Newberry (24-14, 10-5) won two games at Wingate (15-21, 6-9) taking the doubleheader opener, 5-3 in 10 innings and taking Game 2, 7-2, in South Atlantic Conference action. Daymon Totherow had a two-run double in the firsta nd scored the go-ahead run in the 10th inning of the opener. Jeff Sneed had a hit, drove in two runs and scored two runs -- one on a steal of home - in the nightcap.
* USC Lancaster (28-11, 3-3) took a pair of lopsided wins over USC Sumter (21-14, 3-3), 10-4 and 16-4, in NJCAA Region 10 play.
* Voorhees (12-13) ran its winning streak to four games with a doubleheader sweep of College of Faith, 7-6 and 14-2, in Denmark. The teams meet again on Sunday.
* Benedict (16-8, 6-2) swept Morehouse (5-21, 2-5) by identical 16-9 scores in an SIAC doubleheader. The Tigers scored seven runs in the sixth to break a 9-9 tie in the opener. They had 30 hits in the two games, with Andrew McCoy and Skyler Sabado getting five each.
* Brian Parreira had three hits to lead USC Aiken (24-9, 9-5) to an 8-2 win over Flagler (21-14, 9-5) to clinch the Peach Belt Conference series victory.
* Francis Marion (23-11, 6-7) got seven shutout innings from Chance Ducharme and Reese Cooley homered and drove in two runs in a 7-1 victory over Armstrong State (14-16, 0-10) in Peach Belt Conference play.
* Anderson (9-25, 5-13) and Coker (19-12, 9-8, split a South Atlantic Conference twinbill in Hartsville. Tyler Miller had three hits and Carson Barrett drove in three runs for Anderson in a 10-3 win in the opener. Thomas Lopez had three hits and scored a run in the third, when the Cobras did all their scoring in a 7-2 win in Game 2.
* USC Beaufort (24-12, 9-6) picked up a Sun Conference series win with a 5-1 victory over Ave Maria (17-25, 4-13). Kal Davis was 3-for-3 and Justin Kortessis allowed no earned runs over 7 1/3 innings for the Sand Sharks.
* Spartanburg Methodist (21-14, 3-1) and USC Salkehatchie (16-21, 2-4) split a pair of NJCAA Region 10 games. The Pioneers won the opener in five innings, 11-1, while Nick Delbianco homered and drove in four runs in an 8-4 Indians victory in the finale.
* Florence Darlington Tech (25-11, 4-2) split an NJCAA Region 10 doubleheader with Louisburg (1-3 region), losing the opener 4-3 and winning Game 2 7-5.
* Ryan Hagan had a home run among his three hits and Mercer (123-6, 4-1) did most of its scoring in the late innings for a second straight game in a 5-3 win at Furman (11-14, 1-4) to clinch a SoCon series victory. The Bears scored two runs in the seventh and single runs in the eighth and ninth to break a 1-1 tie. Landon Kay had three hits and Brandon Elmy drove in two runs for the Paladins, who outhit the Bears 14-7. A five-run ninth gave Mercer a 5-4 win in Friday's opener.
* Western Carolina (11-15, 3-2) clinched a SoCon series win over The Citadel (9-18, 2-3) with a 6-0 victory in Cullowhee. The Catamounts broke open a scoreless game with two runs in the sixth, three in the seventh and one in the eighth. Bryce Leasure had two hits for the Bulldogs.
* Lipscomb (16-10, 2-0) clinched an Atlantic Sun Conference series win at USC Upstate (13-17, 0-2) by scoring runs in the ninth to take a 5-3 victory. J.J. Shimko had a homer and drove in two runs for the Spartans.
* Charleston Southern (14-11, 3-5) suffered a 6-0 shutout at Campbell (13-15, 3-2), setting up Sunday's game as the series-decider. Mike Sconzo had two hits, while Cody Maw had seven strikeouts in three shutout innings of relief for the Buccaneers.
* Emmanuel (13-21, 5-14) clinched a series win at Limestone (18-17, 7-10) with wins of 11-5 and 9-3 in Conference Carolinas play at Gaffney. Chase Allen hit his 14th home run for the Saints in the opener, while Zach Piazza connected for No. 16 in the nightcap.
* King (14-18-1, 5-12) won both ends of a doubleheader against Southern Wesleyan (9-25, 4-13) with victories of 5-0 and 8-1, holding Southern Wesleyan to seven hits on the day. Dimarkus Sanders singled in walked in the opener. Quinton Bent had two hits and drove in the Warriors' only run of the day in Game 2.
* A four-run sixth inning provided the margin of victory for Paine (14-13, 6-2) in a 6-2 win over Claflin (8-23, 2-6) in Game 2 of an SIAC doubleheader sweep. Paine won the opener, 4-3, on a walk-off wild pitch. Rashad Bivens doubled twice in the first game, while Darrell Langston had two hits, two stolen bases in Game 2.