Friday, May 25, 2018

Ron Scarborough not letting health challenges keep him down

Ron Scarborough has been a tireless supporter of Upstate
sports on all levels. He was at Thursday's Southern
Conference Tournament as a member of the working media.
(Palmetto State Baseball photo)

I was sitting in top row of the Fluor Field grandstand before Furman's game in the Southern Conference Tournament on Thursday when someone tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around and saw Ron Scarborough, sitting in a wheelchair.  I first got to know Ron when he operated a baseball card shop in Greenville 30 or more years ago and I still had my collection.  He later started a radio sports talk show. He's been on several area stations, most recently WGOG in Walhalla.

Ron has been a great friend of Palmetto State Baseball. He had me on weekly throughout the season for several years and frequently gave plugs for this Website.  He wanted me to continue this season, but I declined for reasons of my own and not anything to do with Ron.

Since I left The Greenville News in 2012 most of our interactions have either been at Doug Kingsmore Stadium during a Clemson game or via telephone. I saw him walking down the hall at St. Francis Hospital one day in 2016 while I was waiting for a heart cath that turned into having three stents implanted. His mom was having a hospital procedure the same day. Not long after that, I heard Ron had suffered a stroke. A few months later he had another. The total is now up to four over the past year or so.

His health and his appetite have been affected. He's lost 70 pounds and now uses a wheelchair to get around. He said there are only a couple of food items he can tolerate the taste of.

Ron is a proud holder of a PHD -- Parker High Diploma -- and I grew up going to church with several of his classmates. He's good people.

During my 40-year journalism career I worked alongside and in competition with many folks who provided great coverage of high school sports.  Some at the top of the list (this isn't meant to be comprehensive) are Tom Layton, Bob Castello and Scott Keeler at The Greenville News; Bill Mitchell at The State; Steve Sanders and Jason Gilmer at The Herald-Journal in Spartanburg; Barry Byers at The Herald in Rock Hill; Phil Kornblutt of S.C. SportsTalk; and Stan Olenik and Pete Yanity at WSPA-TV.

All those folks have done a lot of great work, but nobody -- N-O-B-O-D-Y -- has put more effort into getting the accomplishments of high school (and other youth level) athletes recognized than Ron.

Ron has hosted a Friday night high school football scoreboard show for more than a decade, including interviews from area coaches. His accompanying Internet scoreboard is a must-visit online destination. He's had a couple of dozen or so "mini"  high school football coaches shows weekly as part of his radio program in season. Despite his health challenges, he's planning to do the scoreboard show again this fall. "I need to get my voice stronger," he said Thursday.

He's been the reason some area "touchdown clubs" and baseball-softball clubs haven't folded. Those clubs' meeting always include some form of recognition for high school athletes for in-season accomplishments. He's helped promote the Big League World Series in Easley.

He's also big on helping youngsters -- like those at Shriners' hospitals -- with health challenges to experience special moments involving athletes or sports memorabilia.

He just loves bringing happiness to youngsters. On Thursday he showed me a Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card he'd brought to give to a youth he'd met at at earlier SoCon Tournament and expected to see this year.

The reason I write this is Ron is facing some tests in the coming days in an effort to determine -- and address -- the source of some of his problems.

I'd appreciate it -- and I know he would, too, -- if you'd remember him in your prayers.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice article on a true sports fan and great broadcaster. He is missed at WGOG. Tom Rusk, WGOG Sunday morning host.

Unknown said...

Ron has been a tireless lover of sports in this state, especially high school sports. God bless him.
Ken Allison

Dale Butts said...

Thank you for writing this Rudy. Ron is a legend in SC high school sports circles, and you nailed it with this article. Prayers for Ron as he faces this next hurdle.

Unknown said...

I always enjoyed listening to Ron on his radio shows. I loved how he helped so many children and others who were going through hard times. Ron is a great guy and I miss him on the radio. Suzi Knebusch

Anonymous said...

Wow ! I Googled Ron and just read this great tribute. Our boot store was next to Ron's card trading shop. He was community sport builder