Game of the day
Winthrop 1, UNC Asheville 0
Colton Rendon (8 innings) and Dalton Whitaker (1) combined on a one-hitter as Winthrop (9-11, 2-1) took a 1-0 victory over UNC Asheville to win the Big South Conference series. Scout McFalls had two hits and drove in the game's only run in the sixth innings. Asheville's lone hit game in the third inning.
Series of the weekend
Clemson takes two of three from Virginia
The Tigers (16-4, 5-1 ACC) bounced back from a 2-0 loss in Friday's opener to win the final two games against fellow Top 10 team Virginia. A six-run first inning set the Tigers up for a 7-6 win on Saturday and they hammered the Cavaliers 12-1 on Sunday. Andrew Cox, Jordan Greene and Logan Davidson had three hits apiece and Pat Krall pitched seven effective innings.
Rising: South Carolina swept Tennessee despite being without preseason all-American pitchers Clarke Schmidt and Tyler Johnson.
Falling: College of Charleston has lost five straight.
Elsewhere across the state:
Freshman Colby Lee pitched four innings of one-hit relief in his first SEC appearance as South Carolina (14-5, 3-0) beat Tennessee, 10-2, to complete a sweep of the Gamecocks' opening SEC series. The Gamecocks opened the fifth inning with six straight hits and scored seven runs to break the game open. With USC's most effective pitchers having already worked in the series, freshman Cody Morris pitched into the fourth inning and Sawyer Bridges got the Gamecocks into the fifth. Alex Destino and Madison Stokes homered.
* Matthew Quarles pitched a complete game and Jason Costa went 4-4 as Furman (10-8) beat North Carolina A&T, 7-3, to claim the rubber game of the series.
* Presbyterian (11-11) took deciding game with its series with Army, 13-4. Cletis Avery doubled, homered and drove in three runs. Brett Auckland and Nick Wise also had two hits for PC.
* Lander (12-14) put up crooked numbers in its first five at-bats and coasted to a 19-5 win over host Georgia Southwestern in the rubber game of the Peach Belt Conference series. Alex Conaway had three hits and drove in six runs for the Bearcats, who scored six runs in the first, 2 in the second and third, six in the fourth and three in the fifth.
* Charleston Southern (11-6, 1-2) avoided being swept in its Big South Conference opener with an 8-7, 10-inning win at Longwood. The Buccaneers took a 3-0 lead, fell behind 4-3 and tied the score in the ninth. Nate Blanchard's two-run single highlighted a four-run 10th, but the Lancers scored three runs and had the potential tying and winning runs on base when the game ended.
* Armando Valentin and David White Jr. had five hits apiece as Benedict (10-5, 2-1) pounded Miles, 22-7, to take the decisive game in the SIAC series opener for the Tigers.
* Francis Marion (20-7, 4-5) avoided a sweep at Peach Belt Conference rival Young Harris with a 7-4 victory. Zach Callahan had a two-run single in a four-run seventh-inning rally. Cole Hinnant homered for FMU.
* USC Aiken (19-7, 6-3) suffered the ignominy of being swept in a Peach Belt Conference series on the same week it moved into the No. 1 spot in the NAA Division II rankings, losing to Columbus State, 10-9, in the series finale.
* Spartanburg Methodist (16-12) beat USC Salkehatchie (13-17) twice, 9-4 and 20-6, to take a 3-1 series victory in games that did not count in the NJCAA Region 10 standings. Kip Brandenburg homered and drove in four runs in the opener and Chase McCroskey, Sheldon Reed and Jackson Williams connected in Game 2.
* Four players had two hits apiece as USC Upstate (11-11) beat Quinnipiac, 5-3, to take a 2-1 series victory. The Spartans scored three runs in the seventh inning to take the lead.
* A five-run seventh inning turned the game around and Texas State beat Coastal Carolina (12-9, 1-2) in the rubber game of a Sun Belt Conference series, 10-7. Seth Lancaster had two home runs and drove in four runs for the Chanticleers.
* Nebraska completed a three-game sweep of College of Charleston (8-11) with a 6-2 victory. The Cougars have lost five straight games and eight of their last nine.
* Dartmouth salvaged a split of its four-game series with The Citadel (7-12) with a 10-9 win. The Big Green got 15 hits and seven walks off eight Bulldogs pitchers. Joe Sabatini hit two home runs and Jonathan Sabo and Barrett Charpia added one homer apiece.
* Yale abused the Wofford (9-13) pitching staff for the second straight game, rolling to a 17-8 victory to gain a split of the four-game series. The Bulldogs won the second game of a Saturday doubleheader, 18-15. Stone Pellegrino had a pinch-hit grand slam for the Terriers on Sunday.
* Spring Hill swept Claflin (6-17, 0-3) in its opening SIAC series by winning Sunday's game, 10-5. Johnathan Parnell had three hits and drove in two runs for the Panthers.